I’ve pulled together a list of free drum machine plugins that are available to download now:
Want a chinese gong set? Of course you do. Chau Gons gives you just that, a Wind gong and 3 Tantam gongs of 40, 28 and 20 inches. All the samples are arranged into 3 velocity layers. They sound quite good, and provide an experimental sound when the decay is shortened (listen to the video below!).
- 4 gongs.
- 3 velocity layers.
- Release time, pan and volume controls for each gong.
- Amplitude dynamic range.
- Master volume.
If Alan’s Wind gong doesn’t satisfy you, prehaps Cymbalistic will?! Alan Vista has taken 68 stereo samples from the University of Iowa Electronic music studios and created this sampled cymbals set.
- 1 Hi hat.
- 1 ride cymbal.
- 4 crash cymbals.
- 2 chinese cymbals.
- 4 stereo outputs.
- Release time for each cymbal.
- Volume and Pan for each cymbal.
- Amplitude dynamic range control.
Alan Vista Royotoms
Another cracker from Alan. Royotoms is a sampled rototoms set by Roy Miller, tuned to the track “Time” by Pink Floyd. A set of reverb samples were also created by using an impulse repsonse from an EMT-140 plate reverb unit. I love this!
- 48 mono 44.1Khz/24 bit dry samples.
- 48 stereo 44.1Khz/24 bit reverb samples.
- 3 velocity layers.
- 2 round-robin samples by layer.
MiniSpillage was also featured on the List of Free Synths blog post. It’s a handy drum synthesizer containing 3 algorithms that use FM & model synthesis to create a bass drum, wood drum and hi hat. It also contains distortion effects and resonant filters.
Sitala is a very simple drum machine plugin that focuses on ease of use. Most DAWs have a built in drum machine which would have more feature than Sitala – though if you want a stand alone drum machine this will provide the basics for you.
Drum TROOP is a decent sounding drum machine. It comes with 20 free drum kits, 128 triggers on each kit, 16 outputs and Vol, Pan, attack, release per pad. Check out the video to give you a flavour.
- 16outputs (one per pad, and the rest of the keys are added/split into the last three)
- We use all 128 triggers on every kit.
- 16-20 sounds per kit (some kits are full = 100+ samples)
- Universal drum placement on the first 8 pads.
- One shot expansions + construction kit expansions.
- .wav files come with MOST of the expansions (all but one actually)
- Quick on board Vol, Pan, Attack, Release per pad (the rest is done in your daw, no fx/bloat inside)
- Cool skins that change per expansion.
- 3 different setups among 3 different templates (16x, 12x, 4x, in span/romp/rr/mixed formats)
- 90% never released content – hidden surprises everywhere (including extra sounds in the .wav folders)
- MIDI files coming soon with a ton of drum patterns in many genres to help you get going on a composition fast.
MDrummer Small is the slimmed down, lite version of MDrummer. You still have access to the virtual drummer and drum machine however some of the features (listed below) are limited.
- More than 6GB of samples, multisamples, subsample libraries and more
- 600+ drumsets, 12000+ drumset components, 1800+ samples, 1600+ multisamples, 700+ rhythms, 300+ base-rhythms, 14000+ loops
- 5 ultimate sound generators – Sampler, MultiSampler, Synthesizer4NN, SubSampleSynth and Scratcher
- About 60 versatile effects – equalizers, compressors, distortions, modulations…
- Drumset generator & merger
- Effect generator & merger
- Ultimate human-like rhythm technology
- MIDI command method
- Integrated arrangement sequencer
- Jamming functionality
- Rhythm generator & merger
Mix Project T.Rex 606
T Rex 606 is a very simple drum machine rompler based on the classic Roland 606. It features only volume and reverb dials to give you quick access to the 606 sound.
MT Power Drumkit 2
MT Power Drumkit 2 offers you the sound of a realsitc, high quality acoustic drum kit. This kit would suit most rock, pop and metal productions.
The samples have been pre-processed with EQ and compression to help fit them into your mixes. There are many assorted rhythms and grooves to try and also a fill generator!
Line of Legends is a drum machine using the high quality samples from realdrumsamples.com. The samples used were amassed over an engineering career by Jay Fisher. There is a lot of paid content on his site, however, if you sign up to his email list you receive a bunch of free samples. The drum machine provided on VST4Free divides these samples into 8 sections (Kick, Snare, Clap, Snap,Toms, Hi Hat, Ride, Crash)
- 47 high quality samples.
- 8 individual outputs.
- Punch knobs for attack sculpting.
- Release and Pan knobs (not labelled).
Sample Science - Vintage Drum Elements
Vintage Drum Elements v2 is a virtual drum machine that gives you the sound o fhte Yamaha RX-5. The RX-5 was a big hitting drum machine in the 80s used by many professional music producers, including The Pets Shop Boys, Depeche Mode & Masters at Work.
Check out the demo below:
Sean Pandy Drums
Sean Pandy Drums is a drum rompler plugin featuring Kick, Snare, 4 Toms and a “Sub Blower”! Each drum sound is made up of 6 velocity layers and has upto 10 random robin samples. The samples are taken from metal producer Sean Pandy’s personal library and have been turned into this free plugin by chokehold.net.
Elecktronic Soundlab’s RVK-808 is a free drum Rompler inspired by the TR- 808.
- 272 quality samples.
- 17 drum kits.
- Assignable outputs.
- Pan, release, and level controls.
- Bassdrum tone, reverb (layers), noise fx and global pitch bend.
- Low CPU usage.
- 100% royalty free.
- Download size: 597 MB – Unzipped size: 1,15 GB.
SSD5 FREE is the demo version of Steven Slate’s SSD5 plugin. There’s no expiry on the demo, so it works nicely as a standalone drum plugin. Of course this version has limited drum kits available but otherwise it has full functionality!
Studio Linked Drum Pro features 20 kits to get you started making beats for most genres of music. It contains samples from some of the classic drum machines including the Roland TR – 808, 909, Boss Dr 55 and Novation drumstation.
Teragon Kick Maker
KickMaker is made up of four independent oscillators and a wide range of effects. This allows you to synthesize your own kick drum sounds.
- Four independent oscillators
- Each oscillator has its own ADSR curve
- ADSR curve for mixed signal